5.09.2007

organization and time management

i am pretty good at keeping organized and managing my time when i am at work.
i get things done right away, i keep my inbox clean and i'll write myself to-do lists when i have more than i can keep straight in my head.

but at home, i'm lucky if i can remember to shower on my days off.

and it's not that i don't want to be organized and efficient. i'm just a procrastinator. i spend a lot of time calculating how long a task will take me and then i start it at the last possible second.

but, invariably, it ends up taking longer than i estimated or i get distracted by the tv or internet or a kitty that needs a good head scratching.

or i say i will take care of it on my days off. which leads to me sleeping in, taking care of the "honey-do" list posted to my bathroom mirror and me reading/watching the internet/tv/newspaper.

what i need to do is import the time management tools and techniques i use at trader joe's into my personal life.

i need to step up and keep my life in order. i want it to be that when i wake up in the morning that i look at the house and say, "damn, i have nothing to do. let's go watch a movie or sleep another 5 hours." instead of saying, "ok, if i sleep two more hours and watch this movie while i do laundry and dishes, then spend 15 minutes cleaning the bathroom then 5 minutes in the shower, maybe i can squeeze in enough time to get gas before i have to be at work."

which, of course, leads me to not doing half that stuff and praying that i don't run out of gas until after work.

so why don't i just make myself to-do lists and calendars and all that jazz of highly efficient people?

because it feels like work. i love my job, but i can only do so much work in a week. and 98% is used by the job that gives me money. so i don't have the motivation or will (ok, i do, i just don't use them) for chores and the like.

but i will.

tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment