5.17.2007

sipping vinho verde

as a sip my second glass of the effervescent portuguese white, i will now espouse my thoughts on alcohol:

1. i love it.

2. i love almost all forms of it.

3. i like learning about it.

my adventures in oregon have been showing me that oregonians like there booze.
between the wineries and the craft brews and the bars on every corner in downtown portland, alcohol flows freely here.

i also work in a store that sells wine and beer. so i feel that, in order to be most effective as a knowledgeable tj's crewmember, i should know about wine and beer.

and experience is the only true teacher.

this is what i have learned about beer:
hefeweizen is my favorite kind of beer.
sam adam's summer ale maybe the best seasonal brew i know of.
i like fruit added beers. which may make me a fruit, but i'll accept that.

what i have learned about wine:
i don't like reds with most foods. i like them on their own or with sweet things.
i like white wine with food.
i like going to wineries and drinking the samples.

i have yet to tour as many breweries and vineyards as i would like to, but it is still early in my time here, so my plan is to...

oops, i need another glass...