10.03.2012

Unabashedly liberal

Watching the presidential debate tonight reenforced my belief in the progressive liberal worldview I hold.

I believe that a healthy, peaceful and successful society provides for the common needs of its people.

But what are these common needs and how does a society implement them?

The second part is easier to answer. Government, particularly representative democracy, I feel is the best way for providing for a society.

The first part is a longer answer. I believe a society (through the government) should provide for defense from foreign threats, national disasters, and domestic terrorists.
I believe society should invest in science and technology and the education of the citizens from preschool through college to understand and use the developments that come from that research.
I believe that a society needs to provide for the safety of citizens with a well-funded and well-trained police, fire, paramedic forces.
I believe a society should provide for the health of its citizenry through a national health service for physical and mental health. I believe in protecting the environment through strong personal and corporate regulation of pollution creation and removal.
I believe a society should do all of these and more in order to have an educated, healthy and innovative citizenry. I do NOT believe we should leave this to individuals to fight for these protections. We need to all work together fighting for the greatness of the society and help raise all citizenry to a place where they are safe, healthy and contributing to the common good.

and if this makes me a heartless commie bastard, so be it.

No comments:

Post a Comment