5.17.2003

working overnights

i'm getting used to the sleeping all day, waking up at 3, then staying up all night til about 7am.
we'll see how long it lasts.

tried to fall asleep yesterday morning on the blue couch.
the fan was blowing on me. the porch door was cracked letting a cool breeze waft in. i had my pajama pants on. i closed my eyes letting the soft noises of sportscenter wash over me.
then i felt a presence. an evil presence.
i cautiously opened my eyes and saw him standing there--staring at me.
our gazes met and he was unflinching. i knew one of us had to make a move.
i struck first.
i snapped my fingers and the fiend twitched his bushy tail and scampered out the door.
i hate that squirrel.

i've walked to work a couple times this week for the exercise and because my car doesn't work properly right now.
on the way i walk past bell pond.
on the return trip in the early morning light, i saw something out in the pond that i didn't expect.
hello turtle.
he blinked at me and sank beneath the water.
i followed him down with my gaze and was pleasantly surprised to see the pond had life.
i saw a school of fish hanging out--probably wondering what the turtle was doing swimming by them. i saw a log that looked kind of like richard nixon's profile. there were little piles of rock that looked like they were built and not just created by nature. i was opened up to an entire new world.
i guess the lesson is that there's always something more beneath the surface that you didn't even know existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment