4.09.2003

Super perfundo on the early eve of your day

i just watched waking life today (and i don't agree with the review at imdb at all). this film was fantastic. filmed with real people then animated over that filming. a visual styling that is both at once beautiful and disconcerting. dialogue that doesn't allow full appreciation--or even understanding--on first viewing.
i plan on taking my analog journal and sitting down with this film and trying to get my thoughts about the sections down on paper. i had so many thoughts flowing through my head during the movie, but it kept jumping from scene to scene before i could let it absorb. it just blew me away.

one crazy idea that popped into my head after the movie is this: what if i exist as the dream of someone? say that when i fall asleep the real me is waking up and going, "wow that was a weird dream!" are my dreams the residual memories of the real me existing in his reality? am i just the manifestation of someone's subconscious? and if i am, does that negate or undervalue my existence at all? from the movie: they say that dreams are only real as long as they last. couldn't you say the same thing about life? does it matter whether i exist in a "true" reality or is it ok that my existence is merely the construct of someone else's neurons? either way, i'm fine with it.
cogito ergo sum

another good thing that came from the movie was this one part where a guy asks what is the more universal human characteristic: fear or laziness? this blew my mind as well, cuz i agree with it. i had just never heard it vocalized outside my own head. then couture brought up a point about a book he had read that said we need to take our fear transform it to anger and take that into action.
fear-->anger-->action
our fears hold us back, our anger can make us motivated. and i agree, most of the time that you are motivated it is because you are upset with how some aspect of your life is and you want to improve it. i need to get angry.

another realization that has hit me is that i think there are two type of sufferers in the world: those that are upset with the system and those that are upset with their place within the system. i find myself to be of the former. i don't like the way the world is and i want to change it to something completely radical and different and--in my eyes--beautiful. other people just want to change their lot in the social construct and "do better" based on the current socioeconomic system. my problem is that each group is seen as hopeless and clueless by the other group. vegan hippie communes don't really have the respect of a condo complex near wall street or vice versea (i know, unfair and exaggerated examples, but i enjoy using hyperbole to get my points across).

my only justification for my beliefs is that i have the nagging feeling that we are missing something from modern society--something that will make us, humanity, whole. books like celestine prophecy or virus clans. movies like the matrix or waking life.
something is not right with the way the world is. look around. there are problems everywhere. i don't know if it is a new feeling or if all those that don't quite fit the "mold" of society have always felt that the world needed change. i'm hoping that it is a new global feeling and we are actually in a time of renewal and change. it could be a beautiful world that we are going to evolve into. evolution is moving faster and faster with the passage of time.
2 billions years to life. 6 million to hominids 100,000 to modern man. 4000 for agriculture. 50 years for the internet. we will see change in our lifetime. evolutionary changes will happen in a human time frame (that's from waking life, too).

No comments:

Post a Comment